At present, the home inspection industry in South Africa is not regulated, and there is no set code of ethics.
SASHI has formulated a set of recommended ethics which are based on those of the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI). ASHI spent many years developing a standard for the industry. SASHI strives to increase public awareness of the existence of the home inspection profession and to entrench ethical business practices in the industry in South Africa.
The code of ethics is designed to provide a yardstick according to which the quality of service in the industry can be regulated. It enables consumers to measure whether their home inspection is up to scratch or not and whether the inspector involved has acted ethically.
Suggested code of ethics
The code of ethics of SASHI (The South African Society of Home Inspectors) is expressed in the following seven guidelines:
1. The Member will express an opinion only when it is based on practical experience and honest conviction.
2. The Member will always act in good faith toward each client.
3. The Member will not disclose any information concerning the results of the inspection without the approval of the clients or their representatives.
4. The Member will not accept compensation, financial or otherwise, from more than one interested party for the same service without the consent of all interested parties.
5. The Member will neither accept nor offer commissions or allowances, directly or indirectly, from other parties dealing with their client in connection with work for which the member is responsible.
6. The Member will promptly disclose to his or her client any interest in a business that may affect the client. The member will not allow an interest in any business to affect the quality or the results of the inspection work that they may be called on to perform. The inspection work may not be used as a vehicle by the inspector to deliberately obtain work in another field.
7. An inspector shall make every effort to uphold, maintain and improve the professional integrity, reputation and practice of the home inspection profession. He or she will report all such relevant information, including violations of this code by other members, to the Society for possible remedial action.